Image via Pixabay
Five Professionals Who Can Help You Build Your Custom Home
It’s exciting having your dream home custom-built, but it also takes a lot of work and planning. The process will probably take longer than you expect, and you may run into a few slowdowns along the way. That’s why it’s so important to work with top-notch professionals in the building industry. You need to be confident that your vision for your new home is in good hands, and this guide presented by Metropolitan Contractors can help make that happen.
Start by finding an architect who will understand your aesthetic. We know a guy! Contact Metropolitan Contractors and we can make introductions.
- Have a complete wish list of everything you are looking for in a home, including the design and style.
- Find an architect in your geographical region who specializes in residential design, whose portfolio contains designs similar to what you’re looking for, and who has good reviews.
A building contractor will oversee the complete construction of your home
- Your contractor will be responsible for hiring the other professionals who will collaborate on bringing your home into existence, including the excavator, mason, plumber, electrician, roofer, and drywaller.
- Your architect may be able to recommend a contractor they have worked with before on homes of a similar type. Otherwise, get a reference from us.
- Georgetown Insurance notes that it’s important that the contractor who builds your house is licensed to work in your area, and has all the required insurance. We cannot stress this enough. Request a copy of their COI and ensure their limits are sufficient to rebuild if they have to correct anything they installed.
- Get a quote from your contractor so you know what the project will cost and can apply for an affordable loan, if needed.
You will need to consult a structural engineer who will make sure your home is structurally sound.
- Make sure you find an engineer who can work well with your builder and architect, and who specializes in residential construction.
- While architects focus primarily on the design of your home, engineers make sure it is structurally correct.
- They will also oversee the process to make sure your foundations, materials, wiring, and drainage are all in accordance with building regulations.
Don’t forget about the outside of your home in Northern Virginia or Washington, DC. You will want to find a landscape designer who will help you make your home as beautiful as possible from the outside.
- Landscapers will be responsible for managing the land outside your home to make the design both practical and beautiful. This may include retaining walls, drainage, walkways, and even outdoor structures.
- They will also oversee horticultural projects and planting such as gardens, trees, and hedges.
And finally, work with an interior designer so your home will be beautiful on the inside as well.
A great designer will work with you to create interiors to reflect your unique personality, needs, and aesthetics. You should start talking to your designer from the moment you decide to have your home custom-built, so they will be aware of your architectural design and budget.
While it takes more time and effort to have your home custom designed and built than it does to purchase an existing residence, you will be able to work with the professionals you have hired every step of the way, so you know the finished product truly will be the home of your dreams.